When it comes to optimizing our digestion and overall health , it can be both exciting and comforting to find new “secrets” that have been used for thousands of years to restore our health. Triphala was that “find” for me. And even though I wasn’t certain how to pronounce it at first, I was relieved to finally discover a natural way to gently cleanse and detoxify the body while also replenishing and nourishing it.
All over the world, Triphala’s use has risen in popularity due to its numerous health benefits, most notably with digestion. But what is Triphala? And why is it recommended and used so often in Ayurveda? Let’s uncover what this staple in traditional Ayurvedic medicine is all about.
What is Triphala?
Triphala is an herbal combination of three herbs that are native to India: Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki. The word Triphala that literally means “three fruits” in Sanskrit, and this combo has been used for thousands of years as a natural healing remedy. The combination is key since it’s believed there’s added effectiveness in combining the herbs.
In a nutshell… the herbs work better together than individually!
So what are the Benefits ?
Most commonly, Triphila is praised for its benefits on digestion. Modern lifestyle factors such as stress and unhealthy diet negatively affect gastrointestinal health. And according to Hippocrates, “all the diseases begin in the gut”, so it’s no surprise in its popularity for this reason alone.
Triphala is known to soothe and calms the intestinal walls and improves bowel movements, thereby relieving constipation. It also naturally cleanses toxic build up, known as Ama in Ayurveda, that accumulate in the body and throughout our digestive tract. This allows for more absorption of nutrients into our bloodstream that fuels our cells, promoting balanced, healthy elimination.
And added bonus…Triphala has a myriad of other benefits!
- Triphala as a nourishing supplement known for its ability to rejuvenate healthy tissues, allowing one to age gracefully
- POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT
- Protecting cells from the damaging effects of free radicals
- OVERALL WELL-BEING
- Studies have shown Triphala to support healthy respiratory, liver, immune, cardiovascular, urinary, reproductive, and nervous systems
- BALANCES ALL 3 DOSHAS
- Amlaki (amla) has a cooling effect that manages Pitta — is high is Vitamin C and supports the natural functions of the liver and the immune system
- Bibhitaki Is particularly good for Kapha, — supporting the respiratory system as well as kapha accumulations in all systems
- Haritaki, though having a heating nature, is still good for all three doshas (vata, pitta, and kapha). However, it is particularly calming to Vata
From regulating sluggish digestion, to clearing build up of toxins and keeping your body healthy, balanced, and thriving, Triphala may be a beneficial addition to your daily routine. One way is with YouVeda’s My Healthy Digestion or My Healthy Body supplement kits. Both of these doctor-formulated and recommended supplements feature organic triphala to balance digestion and support overall wellbeing. Wonderful for anyone!
Who knows, Triphala just might be the “secret” you’ve been waiting to find!
Author: Carolyn Crews (YouVeda Wellness Contributor)