New Moon in Libra occurs on Friday October 16, 2020. In this article we share what the New Moon in Libra mean, what the New Moon brings and practices that will help simply align yourself with this moon cycle.
New Moon In Libra
Libra is represented by the scales and ruled by Venus, Libra’s soul mission is rooted in partnership and connection. Our energy fields in relay with another energy, human or otherwise. Libra seeks the harmony in all interactions, the middle way. We live on a polarity planet. every light cast a shadow. universal, environment, personal truths coexist. Our sensitivity and intelligence lies in our ability to hold the duality within. To hold opposing truths and beliefs takes an exorbitant amount of energy and vitality in the physical, mental, and emotional bodies. Libra examines the duality and calls the energy back to center.
With everything in life, nature operates in pattern. The cycles are reflected externally and internally. Lunar phases run for approximately 28 days each month. Each phase consists of one new moon, waxing phase, full moon, and waning phase. For each of these points, we honor certain rituals to align ourselves with the natural pattern and harness the powerful energy existing within and around us.
What the New Moon Brings
The New Moon is the point of new beginning. The darkness denotes a moment of pause and reflection, before we move towards the waxing phase of action and creation. Around this time, you may need more sleep, rest, time and space alone. Some women may begin to bleed around the New Moon. The power of this moon phase lies in reflecting on the past cycle and setting intentions or wishes specific to the energetic makeup of the astrological sign where the moon is currently residing. This New Moon in Libra occurs on Friday October 16, 2020, at 3:31 PM EST/12:31 PM PST. Each New Moon has a corresponding Full Moon that occurs approximately six months later. The Full Moon in Libra will occur on Sunday, March 28, 2021, at 2:48 PM EST/11:48 AM PST. Along with the energetics of the New Moon, other planetary aspects and our own astrological placements may affect the ways in which we feel the moon. I recommend finding a few astrologers to follow on social media or subscribe to newsletters to receive more specific information each month.
New Moon Practices
There are many ways to ritualize and honor the new moon period. Practices that support reflection, such as journaling, breathwork or meditation are simple ways to align yourself with this moon cycle. Here are a few suggestions for a New Moon Ritual in Libra this weekend.
- Set aside time for yourself after the New Moon has occurred (anytime after 3:31 PM EST). The closer to the time, the more potent the energy. It’s important to wait until after the time has passed, otherwise you will still be in the waning energy of the moon which is focused on completion and release.
- Create a sacred space. Light a candle or incense, play ambient music or mantra in the background, turn off devices and eliminate distractions.
- Understand what will allow and set up the conditions for clear guidance to channel through you. Yoga, meditation or breathwork may help you drop into your body and transmute any excess energy. Prezence App has a free guided breathwork session on Friday, Oct 16, 2020 at 7 PM EST. Download the app in the App Store to sign up!
- Once you feel connected to yourself ask the question who am I and what do I want? You may opt to free write in a journal or within the Prezence App Journal. Where do you see yourself at the Full Moon in March 2021. What values or accomplishments are important for you to be focused on through the next six months?
- Create your wishes in present/past tense verbiage to accentuate the belief in yourself and the power within you to accomplish your dreams. Ex: “I respond to challenges with love and compassion.” The number of intentions is up to you. Be specific and concise.
- Say each of the intentions outloud and pause after each to feel how the statement resonates within your body and visualize it happening in your life. How does each feel? If it does not feel aligned, adjust or take it out completely.
- Once you have finished, release attachment to your wishes and seal your ritual in a way that feels authentic to you. Place your wishes in a space you can see them each day or within your Prezence App.
Author: Catie Maken (YouVeda Wellness Contributor)
Catie is educator, writer, curator of thoughtful experiences, and passionate practitioner based in Boston. An international yoga/meditation teacher and the Chief Mindfulness Officer for Prezence, Catie has been trained in multiple styles of yoga and meditation including Vinyasa, Katonah, Kundalini, Acro, and other healing arts. Forever a student, she seeks out new mentors and pulls inspiration from her own life, personal practice, nature, astrology and tarot. Her raw authenticity, vibrant personality and accessibility instantly connect her with students and peers. Outside of the studio, you’ll find Catie reading with a warm cup of coffee, spending time in nature, traveling the world, laughing with friends, dabbling in mystical practices, writing, dancing anywhere/anytime and dreaming up her next big project. She is on instagram @catiemacken or on her website, www.catiemacken.com.